About the Position
The South African Sugarcane Research Institute (SASRI) a division of the South African Sugar Association (SASA) currently has an Extension Specialist vacancy in Pongola. SASRI provides an extension service to a broad spectrum of growers in the industry, including large-scale commercial farmers, new emerging farmers and small scale farmers.
The Extension service aims to facilitate the achievement of the following objectives:
- to ensure more effective implementation of SASRI research findings, new varieties and other SASRI services on sugarcane farms
- to encourage and facilitate the adoption of better management practices related to sugarcane farming in general, ensuring the sustainability of farmers and the industry as a whole
- to aid the implementation of leadership objectives in the growing regions such as Research Development & Extension (RD&E) Committees, Local Pest Disease and Variety Control Committees, Local Environment Committees and other local farmer groupings.
These are all aimed at creating awareness of, interest in and adoption of economic farming practices that will improve the profitability of growers while ensuring the long term protection of the environment and the sustainability of the industry as a whole.
The successful incumbent will have administrative support in their office and will join a team of other experienced Extension Specialists in facilitating technology transfer from SASRI to growers throughout the industry.Requirements of this role:
In order to provide a comprehensive extension service including the co-ordination of the regional biosecurity function you will need :
- a sound working knowledge of sugarcane crop husbandry,
- knowledge of and experience in agricultural and environmental management practices, irrigation practices and pest and disease control,
- the ability to develop and manage extension programmes effectively,
- a proven track record of communicating scientific information to a non-scientific audience.
Ideally a BSc in Agriculture and 3 - 5 years' experience in providing extension services to a large group of farmers will equip you to meet the requirements of this job. Personally you should be an excellent communicator, problem-solver and be able to work both independently and as part of a multi-disciplinary team. A valid driver's licence is essential.To apply, please apply on-line via the job portal on the SASA websitehttp://www.sasa.org.za/careers/Vacancies).
Closing date for applications is 11 October 2017.
SASRI reserves the right to consider applications received after this date but will not be obliged to do so.
The ideal candidate will have the following competencies:
- communicate information & ideas verbally
- evaluate weather and soil conditions in order to revise plans and procedures
- to develop and communicate via written material
- integration of multi-functional elements comprising crop performance
- reporting regional progress on key projects
- setting and implementing annual extension programme
- the application of scientific agricultural knowledge in farming
- methods of transferring technology to diverse grower groups
- farming systems and cycles and timing of farming activities
About The Employer
The South African Sugar Association (SASA) provides a diverse range of highly specialised services to the South African sugar industry and our activities are funded in the main by the sugarcane growers and sugar milling companies. Our mission is to provide specialist services that enhance the profitability, global competitiveness and sustainability of the South African sugar industry.
Employer & Job Benefits